Tuesday, July 16, 2013

George Zimmerman: After The Verdict

I lived in Deltona, Fla. for a year before moving to Atlanta, GA. Deltona is in Volusia County. Sanford is in Seminole County. As a former resident of Florida, I can honestly say that Florida is overtly prejudice.

The jury determined George Zimmerman to be not guilty on all charges. Let us consider this fact: the jury was predominately white. Let us consider another fact: Hispanics consider themselves to be white. Let us consider one more fact: Trayvon Martin has been demonized as a thug.

Some people feel that this isn't a racial-motivated issue. One juror actually believes that Zimmerman would have acted in like manner if Trayvon was Hispanic, Asian, or white. Did I mention that Floridians aren't that smart?

I've lived in NYC for 27 years and Black men are profiled and stereotyped as criminals more than any other ethnicity.  Black men are victims of prejudice and discrimination nationwide. While living in Fla, I had to lie on an application for Walmart just to get an interview. Yes, I said that I was white.

I know Floridian atmosphere. There are overt Confederates all over Fla. This is said to dismantle the lie that Asians, Whites, and Hispanics are treated equally with African-Americans. In having saying that, I am positively certain that if it had been a White or an Asian in the same predicament that Martin was in, there would be a different outcome.

In any event, Zimmerman is not guilty and is a free man. Now what? Rallies? Protests? Riots? Modifications to the stand-your-ground law? What action is necessary to voice intolerance for injustices towards Black Americans, or Americans overall?

I believe Zimmerman's verdict is biased. On the flip side, I will say this-Blacks have to first stop killing each other before being outraged with genocide at the hands of nonblacks. More importantly, if they can gun down their fellow Black Americans for something trivial, but not take a violent, revolutionary stance towards the injustices of Black Americans, are we to really take this Trayvon Martin fiasco seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment